Dimensions:H: 39" (99.1 cm)W: 60" (152.4 cm)D: 25" (63.5 cm)
A rare early C20th teak ship's bench, garden seat; having the very unusual feature of the inset slatted back being hinged to fold down, covering the seat, with the purpose of keeping the seat dry from rain or sea spray. The shaped arms leading to the deep curved slatted seat, raised on substantial square legs with shaped corner brackets and plain stretchers. The top rail having an engraved brass plaque "Built from timber of ex HMS Defence 1860-1932"
Good condition, strong and sturdy. Old varnish, could be easily re-varnished or oiled.
English circa 1932
Dimensions (ins) 60 wide x 39 high x 25 deep; seat height 15.5
HMS Defiance was the last wooden line-of-battle ship launched for the Royal Navy. She never saw service as a wooden line-of-battle ship. In 1884 she became a schoolship. On 26 November 1884 Defiance became the Devonport torpedo and mining schoolship.
She was sold on 26 June 1931 to Castle's Shipbreaking Yard for dismantling at Millbay, Plymouth. Doige's Annual for 1932 poignantly describes her as "the last of England's 'Wooden Walls'".
Fill in this form to email this item to a friend
Fill in this form to send us your enquiry
Please fill in the information below