C18th carved and polychrome statue of Saint Roch, dressed in a colourful, long flowing cloak, with carved shells, his right arm aloft (missing hand), his left hand lifting his robe to show his leg, his seated dog at his side, the reverse showing his hat on his back, retaining much of the original polychrome decoration. Standing on a moulded plinth base.
Saint Roch c. 1295 ñ 16 August 1327 - Saint Roch miraculously healed many of the bubonic plague victims for whom he was caring while they were ill, people reported.
After Roch contracted the deadly disease himself, he miraculously recovered through the loving care of a dog who helped him. The dog licked Roch's wounds often (each time, they healed more) and brought him food until he fully recovered. Because of this, Roch now serves as one of the patron saints of dogs
Continental circa 1750
Dimensions (ins) 33 high x 16 wide x 13.5 deep
Please fill in the information below