A fine Regency rosewood nest of 3 tables; by W&C Wilkinson London; the rectangular tops in striking figured rosewood, with rounded corners and inset cock beading, raised on solid rosewood elegant turned tapering supports, united by slatted form stretchers, raised on swept feet. The smallest table stamped to the underside 19692 W&C Wilkinson, 14 Ludgate Hill
English circa 1830
Very good original condition with an excellent rich colour and patination.
Dimensions (ins) 19 wide x 13.75 deep x 28.75 high
William & Charles Wilkinson were sons of the renowned cabinet maker William Wilkinson. In the early 1820s Charles and his older brother William Ayscough Wilkinson joined their father’s firm. After the father’s death the two brothers changed the name of the firm from Wilkinson & Sons to W & C Wilkinson. Their work was as prolific as it was in their father’s time, and they continued to receive significant commissions. In 1834/5 they received a commission worth over eight thousand pounds to equip the new Goldsmiths’ Hall with furniture designed by the architect Philip Hardwick, much of which still resides in the Hall today. The furniture produced for the Court Room and the Court Dining Room, rooms intended exclusively to men’s use, was of carved mahogany in the Grecian style. But the Drawing Room furniture reflected the fact that this was a venue for pleasure with ladies present, and the recently revived Rococo was used, the furniture being painted white with the detail gilt. Their location in the City made them an obvious contender for patronage by the City Companies and in 1840 they were invited to tender for furniture and upholstery for the Armourers and Brasiers’ Company.