A significant late Regency mahogany and leather Daws library chair

A significant late Regency mahogany and leather Daws library chair

Code: R1090

Dimensions:

H: 43" (109.2 cm)W: 27.5" (69.9 cm)D: 33" (83.8 cm)

£4,750.00 Approx $5736.71, €5614.66, £4750
A significant late Regency mahogany and leather Daws library chair; by Robert Daws London with his patented reclining design, of generous proportions in original dark green leather; the gently scrolled back with a moulded mahogany frame having padded buttoned leather upholstery.  The adjustable reclining back, released by brass sprung catches beneath the sliding arms.  The brass ratchets to either side allowing the back to fix in various inclines.  The padded arms with carved lotus leaf knuckles, raised on well carved scrolled supports.  The comfortable padded leather seat above a mahogany reeded front rail, incorporating the pull out leather foot rest having two adjustable positions.  Raised on turned tapering reeded front legs and shapely swept legs to the rear, terminating in original large brass cup castors.  Both back legs stamped in two places "R.DAWS, A Z P, GR PATENT".  The underside of the foot rest branded to the scrim "R.DAWS"; and retaining its printed instruction label.  Robert Daws has signed in ink on the underside seat rail "R.DAWS".  The is an exceptional and original example of a Daws chair also of academic interest with the very rare signature and labels.  This is a good sized example giving major gravitas.
English circa 1830
Very good original condition
Dimensions (ins) 43 high x 33 deep x 27.5 wide; seat height 18
Price £4750
 
Robert Daws was a cabinet maker and upholsterer active at 17 Margaret Street, Cavendish Square, between 1820 and 1839.  He is best knows for patenting his 'Improved Recumbent Easy chair' in 1827, of which this is a typical example.  This model was well known in the first half of the 19th century and is illustrated in J.C. Loudon's Encyclopedia of Cottage Farm and Villa Architecture and Furniture, London 1839, p.1057, fig. 1913, with an attribution to Daws.  Another is illustrated in C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, Leeds. 1996, p.174, figs 279 and 280.